"The best thing about blogging is seeing my healthy recipes being made by other people and hearing about how their lives have changed"

- Nichola Whitehead, Full time Dietitian and Blogger

Can you give us a brief overview of what Nic’s Nutrition is and what you do?

Hi! I’m a UK Specialist Registered Dietitian and my blog Nic’s Nutrition is a reflection of who I am both personally and professionally. It’s an online collection of healthy recipes, nutrition and diet tips as well as reviews of healthy products that I love. My blog’s aim is to inspire and help others to lead healthier and ultimately happier lives through food!

Tell me more about your career?

Having gained a first class BSc honours degree in Sport & Exercise Science I then qualified as a registered dietitian 5 years ago with a Post-Graduate Diploma in Nutrition & Dietetics. Whilst working full-time as a dietitian in a hospital I undertook my MSc in Health Science before specialising as a bariatric surgery and diabesity dietitian.

What inspired you to start Nic’s Nutrition?

Having read beauty and fashion blogs for years I was keen to ‘give something back’ and get more involved with the online community. I’d become tired of reading mis-leading and even wrong advice about nutrition online and noticed that not many dietitians had joined the blogging community. I posted my first blog post in January 2012 and haven’t stopped since!

How did you manage building your blog alongside your full time career?

After finished my MSc, which I researched and wrote in my own time, I was craving a new hobby and my blog pretty soon filled the void! I joke that I spent 90% of my ‘free time’ working on my blog, but it’s true. I still work full-time as a dietitian and then blog in the evening and at weekends. I love every minute of blogging and creating videos so don’t see it as work or a chore. I’m lucky to work fixed hours during the day so I know that I have both the time and energy to work on my blog afterwards. My partner also has a pretty much full-time hobby so we compliment each other quite well. Oh, and I don’t have kids (yet), which I think is another big factor in the amount of free time that I have!

What’s been the biggest highlight?

The best thing about blogging is seeing my healthy recipes being made by other people and hearing about how their lives have changed. The other week I received an amazing email from someone who had lost 5 stone in the last year and she was saying thank you for all of the honest and credible advice. It’s feedback such as this that keeps me blogging!!

What’s been the biggest challenge?

The biggest challenge for me is a lack of technical knowledge. A friend helped me to redesign my website in 2013 and I’ve had to take multiple trips to the Apple store to understand how to film and edit my YouTube videos!

You’ve become well renowned as an expert in the health and lifestyle industry and built up an impressive following and community on social media. What’s your secret?

Thank you for saying so :) There is no secret but I guess my tips are to be yourself, reply and interact with your followers and really listen to what they want. I noticed that my recipe pages were getting many more hits than my other blog posts and so when I re-launched my website I focused more of my energy on that! Another tip is to ask for your website to be published alongside any media quotes that you may give.

What advice would you give to other women who dream of starting their own business?

Just do it! There’s no time like the present and you have nothing to lose. Blogging, as well as social media gives you the knowledge of what real people really want – and that’s invaluable.

What’s next for you?

I would love to bring out an e-book next :) – watch this space!!

What’s your favourite quote?

It’s not about diets, it’s about a way of life”. I live by this quote!

Nichola Whitehead is a UK Specialist Dietitian, Blogger & Vlogger. She uses her website Nic’s Nutrition to show how healthy living doesn’t mean boring lettuce leaves and aims to empower others into leading a lifestyle based on the 80/20 rule.. if you’re living your life 80% healthy then you can afford to indulge (guilt-free!) for the other 20%!

Want to hear more inspiring stories like this, including our top tips to style a career and business you love? Join our growing tribe here.

Leave a Reply

  • (will not be published)